Augustana Parish Nursing Center
Purpose of the Parish Nursing Center
The Augustana Parish Nursing Center prepares registered nurses to address health needs with a faith community and assists interested churches in initiating parish nursing services.
"I have come that you may have life, and may have it in all its fullness." John 10:10
What is a Parish Nurse?
The parish nurse is a licensed registered nurse who faciliates the holistic health of the congregation, thus reclaiming the healing ministry of the church. The parish nurse focuses on the spiritual, emotional, physical and social dimensions of people as they strive to achieve healing and wholeness. The parish nurse provides health education and counseling, serves as an advocate, and assists in accessing health and community resources while promoting the understanding of the relationship between faith and health.
The Parish Nurse Preparation Course
The parish nurse preparation program prepares the registered nurse to initiate and maintain a parish nurse ministry within a given congregation. It is based on the curriculum developed through the International Parish Nurse Resource Center.
Content of the course includes:
- history and philosophy of parish nursing
- spiritual care
- healing and wholeness
- self care
- legal and ethical aspects
- communication and collaboration
- getting started
- health promotion
- accessing resources
- care coordination
We use an innovative approach to meet the needs of the busy lives of today's nurses while also providing face-to-face contact in developing a supportive network.
Parish Nursing Preparation Course
The course will be offered in two parts from January 25 - March 19, 2016 and then from April 14-15, 2016. Both sections of this course are required for completion. Cost of the course is $550. Registration deadline is January 11, 2016. Link to the 2016 registration brochure or call 605.274.4721 to request a brochure.
Assistance to Churches
The Parish Nursing Center is available to provide information about parish nursing, consultation and assistance in initiating parish nursing and in assessing congregational needs.
The following videos regarding parish nursing are available for use in churches (maximum two-week checkout).
- Parish Nursing: Ministry to Older Adults
- Three Acts of Illness
- The Healing Place
- Parish Nurses: Reclaiming Their Joy
- Laugh Your Way to Health
Additional Resource Sites
- International Parish Nurse Resource Center
- Dakota Wesleyan University Resource Library — Contact: Kevin Kenkel, Director of Learning Resources at McGovern Library
- Search the parish nursing resources (106 books and 11 videos): Dakota Wesleyan University Resource search
- Select the resources you wish to borrow, print out that page and take it to your primary library (public or college/university)
- Staff at your primary library will submit a Inter Library Loan request to the McGovern Library
- Items may be renewed upon request
- Health Ministries Association
For more information, email Janell Christenson, Director of the Parish Nursing Center at email@example.com. Phone: 605.321.1882.