Frequently Asked Questions
The following are frequently asked questions regarding Augustana's commencement weekend — and the answers! This year's Commencement event will be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday, May 21, at the Sioux Falls Arena.
- Do I need to apply to graduate?
- How can I apply to speak at Commencement?
- When and where do I get my cap, gown, and other paraphernalia?
- Do I need tickets for either Baccalaureate or Commencement?
- How do I order graduation announcements, a class ring and diploma frame?
- Will there be a professional photographer?
- When will I receive my official diploma?
- Where can I find gifts for a graduate?
- Where can I stay nearby?
- Where can I eat on campus?
- Who can help me find a job after graduation?
- If I am a parent, how can I keep in touch?
A. Yes, you need to apply to graduate. If this is news to you and you are planning to walk in May of 2016, please contact the Registrar’s Office as soon as possible at 605.274.4121 or email email@example.com.
A. Those members of the Class of 2016 who were interested in being the senior speaker at Commencement were invited by the Honorary Degree and Commencement Committee to submit an application by Friday, April 1, to become the senior Commencement speaker during the ceremony on Saturday, May 21.
A. Undergraduate caps and gowns will be distributed on Friday, May 20, at Commencement rehearsal. There is no fee for undergraduate caps and gowns, and pre-orders are not required.
- Caps, gowns and hoods for Master's Degree candidates need to be purchased from the Academic Affairs/Graduate Programs Office. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for payment and further information.
- Honor cords for the Summa Cum Laude candidates will be distributed at rehearsal.
- Civitas stoles will be distributed at the Civitas reception on Friday.
A. Tickets are not required for Baccalaureate or Commencement.
A. Graduation announcements, class rings and diploma frames are available from Herff-Jones. Personalized announcements are available online. Blank announcements are available in the Augustana Bookstore or by calling 605.274.4417.
A. Professional photographs will be taken by Lifetouch Special Events at Commencement. All students will be photographed on stage as they shake hands with the president, as well as a posed photo with an Augustana background. Photos will be online at www.lifetouch.com one week after the ceremony. Proofs will also be mailed to students within one week. The mailing address used will be the same address provided for mailing diplomas. There is no obligation to purchase the photos.
A. Diplomas will be mailed to students in the weeks following Commencement. Typically, diplomas go out in late June or early July. Diplomas cannot be released unless all student account balances are paid in full. Please work with the Business Office to take care of any remaining expenses and ensure that your diploma is sent on time.
A. If you are making travel arrangements, a block of rooms for Augustana University has been reserved at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown in Sioux Falls. Please contact the hotel directly at 605.444.4700 for a special rate. Additionally, here is a list of suggested hotels, restaurants and maps to get you where you need to go! Be sure to ask for the Augustana rate at these hotels as well.
A. Dining on campus is easy! The Ordal Dining Room is open daily from 7:15 a.m. - 7 p.m., while the Viking Huddle is open from 8 a.m. - midnight during the week and from noon to midnight on Saturday and Sunday.
A. Be sure to keep in touch! The Success Center is here to assist with your initial job search and to stay in contact throughout your career. When you land your first job or commit to a graduate school program, notify us immediately so we can share your good news. Ongoing services include resume writing, job search help, posting positions and credential files — just to name a few! Visit us online or contact us at 605.274.4127. We look forward to hearing from you!
Further questions can be directed to: email@example.com.